It’s not easy to keep up with the latest releases in Cajun, zydeco and Louisiana Creole music. There are several music labels that issue mostly Cajun, zydeco and Louisiana Creole recordings and some that issue one every now and then. I was unable to find categories for Cajun, zydeco and Louisiana Creole with major retailers like Amazon and Tower Records. If you’ve got a recommendation, leave it in the comments. Thanks.
- Louisiana Music Factory New Releases: It’s all the new titles from a superb New Orleans-based retailer. The disadvantage is that it’s every new recording they sell, traditional and modern jazz, rhythm and blues, gospel, and more. So you’ll have to browse. Tip: change “items displayed” at the top of the page from the default 10 to 100.
- OffBeat Magazine: Most Cajun and zydeco recordings are reviewed by Dan Willging.
- Flat Town Music: The retail arm of Swallow and Maison de Soul Records. They do carry music from other labels, fortunately.
Alas there is no way to look at just new releases. Warning: a music player loads and starts automatically.
- Arhoolie Records: Also no new releases section nor a way to sort by release date. There is a Cajun and zydeco section, however.
- Rounder Records: New releases. They aren’t as important a label for zydeco now as they were a decade ago, but still worth watching.
- CD Universe: Cajun category, Cajun/zydeco category, zydeco category, zydeco collections category. Why do they overlap? Who knows? Can select ‘Future Releases’ in pull-down menu.