Here’s the Cajun music I recommend for Christmas listening, in alphabetical order:
- Hadley Castille & the Louisiana Cajun Band. Cajun Christmas. LaserLight 12 947, 1997. [Available from the Delta label on Amazon and as MP3 download.] Includes vocals by his granddaughter Sarah Jayde Williams, now a recording artist in her own right.
- Michael Doucet. Christmas bayou. Swallow CD-6064, 1986. From traditional Cajun to swamp pop.
- Jambalaya Cajun Band. Joyeux Noël Swallow 6100-2, 1992. [Also available as MP3 download.]
- Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys. Party at the Holiday, All Night Long. Valcour, 2016. [Seven tracks of secular Christmas songs with two originals. CD or MP3.]
- Various artists. Merry Cajun Christmas Vol. 1 & 2. Swallow SW6070, 1990. [Louisiana Music Factory or Flat Town Music] Has the wonderful Cajun Night Before Christmas and the Twelve Days of Christmas, recited by Tee Jules d’Hemecourt, a graduate of Columbia University.
All have a mixture of secular and religious songs, sung in French and English.